Friday, February 21, 2014

Let's get Physical!

Up until now everything has been nonphysical.  So guess what?  Things are about to get physical!!!  Digging this hole was no joke but good thing I invited a few friends over that were willing to help.  To give a time frame reference, I started measuring things out on Thursday Feb 13th.  What could be more romantic then digging the day before Valentine's Day??

Step 1:  The Layout

Basically I measured out 4 feet from my concrete boundaries that separate the hedges from the grass area.  I then measured out a 4 feet by 8 feet area for the pond.  Borrowing some edge stones from my in ground garden.

Getting started

Yes it is normal for a grown man to own a trampoline!

Step 2:  Unexpected Find!

As I began digging the grass out I found that my yard had a large population of earth worms.  So I thought to myself what a blessing!  I've always been into vermicomposting as well.  Which is something I learned from my mom and her teaching science classes.  Basically vermicomposting is the process of having earthworms in a container, throwing some veggie table scraps in there, letting the worms eat it and collect their castings (fancy word for poop) for soil enrichment!  For more info please follow the link below.


It was a slow process but essentially I would shake out the grass clumps in the wheelbarrow seen below, collect the worms, and threw both the worms and some of the grass into the worm farm container.


Step 3:  Invite Friends Over!

After 4 hours of sifting through worm infested soil, my friends showed up to help to dig.  Thank goodness because my back was already worn out from digging, and wheelbarrowing.  Took us all day Saturday and a little bit on Sunday but we finally got the hole to 2 1/2 ft deep.


Step 4:  Add Water

Prior to adding water it is very important to add the 6 mil plastic liner.  I ended up using 3 layers just in case a puncture occurs.  I would not want to risk losing all that water or the fish.  Also if a pump is added, it might burn out if the water drains and it is still running.


No comments:

Post a Comment