Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bringing you up to speed

Okay so to give some background on this.  Growing up I've always been fascinated by fish.  By high school I had 3 fish tanks in my room.  Two salt water and one fresh.  More recently I started gardening as a hobby mostly to relieve stress and also I just like to see things grow from seeds.  Two years ago I was lucky enough to purchase my first house.  Lucky for me it is on a huge lot for OC standards (10k sq ft) and at the end of a cul-de-sac (no nosey neighbors)!  When I first moved in the back and side yard were nothing but dirt and weeds.  So almost immediately I went to work on creating what is to me, the ultimate backyard.  For the past month or so I have been researching hydroponics online, and came across the idea of aquaponics.  Which is a full cycle system that incorporates both fish and gardening!  I spent a lot of time learning the basics, and all the different methods available.  Taking some ideas and inspiration from several places and patching them together.  What I decided on was to dig out a pond area to house the fish in ground, and then putting Kratky style planters on top.  I haven't figured out how to most efficiently place them yet, but I have time right?

My yard when I first moved in.



Ripping it all out!

Me working in the back, that's my dad (in white) and friend in the background



And then!



AND THEEEENN!!!


Seriously though...The far corner of my yard that I decided to use for the test aquaponic area!

No comments:

Post a Comment